Located in the northern part of north America, Canada is the second largest country in the world and the largest country in north America. It is a naturally beautiful developed country with a population of around 38 million. Even after being such a large country, population of Canada is pretty low as it is a very cold country and not all the places there is habitable. Most of the population of Canada live in the northern region because the land there is habitable.
Canada is a developed country with growing economy. As the population of Canada is pretty low, it has a lot of opportunities in various fields of study. Canada has many universities and colleges where students from different country study. Canada has a very welcoming environment and a large portion of the population in Canada is of immigrants. The Canadians are known for being kind and their welcoming gesture. They also are known for their university
Canadian education system is pretty similar to that in the US. They have private college, public college as well as community college. level. There are thousands of colleges in Canada from where students can get their degree. The three primary higher education provided by Canadian Universities are:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
- Doctoral degree
College And University
Canada has more than a thousand institutions where a wide range of courses are provided. The universities are well reputed around the world for their top-notch education, beautiful campus and architecture and hostility provided to the students. They produce people working in various fields such as finance, engineering, banking, etc. Degrees are offered mainly by two kinds of college.
- Private college Private colleges are the colleges owned by a person or an organization. These colleges are usually more expensive then public college because they rely on the tuition from the students and some funding’s.
- Public (state) college Public colleges are the colleges owned by the state or the government. They are usually cheaper than private college because they do not solely depend upon the tuition of the students. They get funding from the government and are also helped by various organizations and charitable personalities.
- Community college Community college provide 2-year undergraduate level education which is not equivalent to an undergraduate degree but it can work as foundation for undergraduate studies and student can study in some other university in the states after completing their course in the community college.
Cost of attending college in Canada varies a lot depending on the city, university and the type of degree the student is applying for. In state university international students have to pay more amount that the students who are resident of the state. Price of attending university in Canada varies a lot depending on the university as some private colleges can cost extremely high. Tuition: Tuition is the thing in which most of the money is spent on education at the Canada. It varies but on average tuition fee on the Canada costs Public/State University: CAD$20000-$30000 per year (for bachelor’s) : CAD$25000-$40000 per year (for master’s) Private University: CAD$30000-$40000 per year (for bachelor’s) : CAD$35000-$60000 per year (for master’s) Accommodation: Housing in Canada depends upon the state and type of resident you’re living in. Renting an apartment on shared by friends is mostly popular in Canada because it gives the students the freedom for students to work anytime they want and also it is cheaper and then on campus residence. Depending upon state and university these costs may vary. Some of the accommodation types in Canada are:
- On campus living: CAD$10000 -$15000 per year
- Renting an apartment: CAD$1000- $2000 per month
- Shared apartment: CAD$800- $1600 per month Other costs include cost of food, transportation, internet and all which usually sums up to 1200- 1500 CAD$/month.
There is a big need of being financially responsible in order to not go broke as a student in the Canada because of the inflation. Students are suggested to spend the least amount of money they can without having to live beyond the needs as spending large amount of money partying and buying stuffs that aren’t essential will make you suffer before you get your next pay cheque. Canada is a pretty expensive country so students are suggested to use their money wisely and not do any unnecessary spending. Also getting health insurance is extremely important for international students. There are mainly two options of getting a health insurance in the Canada. One of the methods of getting it is from the college or the institution you are studying in because most of the universities in the Canada have a paid insurance plan for their students. You can also get your insurance from some insurance company off campus. Cost of insurance mostly depends on the city you live in. On average the cost of health insurance is CAD$600 to $900. This amount will help to save any unnecessary amount of money on health services.
Working In Canada
Canada is very popular for the working environment it provides for its students. Students can work only once their study program has started. Students must be enrolled in a full-time course that leads to a degree in order to be able to work in Canada Students are allowed to work 20 hours a week during schooldays. Students can work for more than 20 hours a week if they get permit or meet the requirements. They can work full time during semester breaks and holidays to make the living. They can work more than one job and on extra time during the breaks but they must be enrolled to a course before and after the completion of their break. There are a lot of options that students can choose among to work part time. On campus and Off campus work are available to the students willing to work during their period to fund their education. The payment depends upon the city and the type of work that the student is doing. Some of the most popular part time job among students are:
- Fast food services and barista
- Food delivery and Uber
- Teachers assistant and research works And other jobs.
People are not judged on the basis of job they do in Canada and everyone is treated with respect which is one of the best parts about the Canadian working culture. People work hard and make their living and respect the others doing the same. Students are usually paid around 15-25CAD$ an hour so students can easily make around 1200- 2000 a month which is enough for living and they can make the money for tuition and others while working full time during semester breaks and holidays.
Admission Procedure And Document Checklist
Students must apply to each university individually in order to fill the application form. Most of the university accept online application. Various kinds of documents are essential for the applying to get visa. Getting student visa is one of the most important process in studying abroad as one cannot live in another country without a visa. These documents help the Canadian government and the universities to ensure that the students that are going to there are genuinely student and they can live there without facing financial problems. Some of the important documents include.
- Certificate that gives information about your previous education level.
- IELTS/TOFEL or other English proficiency tests result
- ACT SAT are also accepted by most Canadian universities.
- University application form
- Evidence of financial capacity and income sources with required documents.
- English transmitted Citizenship certificate Letter of acceptance from university
Visa Process And Condition
As the students come on student visa, there are some restrictions and rules that may follow being a student.
- Students must be remained enrolled full time and complete the course in the given time.
- Regular attendance and progress are required.
- Student must leave the country once their visa expires.
- Students are allowed to work for only 20 hours a week throughout the semester. (can work full time during breaks and should take permissions to work more than that.)
After completing studying in Canada, international students receive a Post Study Work Visa for anywhere around 8 months up to three years. This work experience plays a vital role in the PR process later.
Canada is one of the coldest countries in the world. So, the students are suggested to be prepared to face the cold. Snowfall happens most of the time in the year and the temperature for most part of the years is in negative Celsius. Canadians are known for their sweet nature and hospitality to guests. It is also one of the most immigrant friendly country meaning it is not that difficult to get permanent residency in Canada after spending a certain period of time there. Canada is popular among south Asian students. As like any other western countries, Canada also have culture and tradition which is pretty much different from ours. So, students must do their research and have ideas about what cultural changes they’re going to see upon arrival in Canada.