Located in North America, United States of America is the biggest economy of the world. Located in between Canada and Mexico it is home to over 330 million people and is the third largest country in the world by land as well as the third most populated country in the world.
USA is the country with the highest GDP in the world. It is also one of the most developed country in every field. It is home to some of the biggest university in the world. Most of the top universities in the world are located in USA. USA has one of the best education systems in the world and most of the people in highest position in their respective field have studied in USA.
USA is home to one of the best education systems in the world. They provided education in every level. There are tens of thousands of colleges in the US from where students can get their degree. The three primary higher education provided by American Universities are:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree
- Doctoral degree Colleges and Universities: US has more than a thousand institutions where a wide range of courses are provided. The universities in the US are well reputed around the world for their top-notch education, beautiful campus and architecture and hostility provided to the students. They produce people working in various fields and well as leaders. Degrees are offered mainly by two kinds of college.
- Private college Private colleges are the colleges owned by a person or an organization. These colleges are usually more expensive then public college because they rely on the tuition from the students and some funding’s.
- Public (state) college Public colleges are the colleges owned by the state or the government. They are usually cheaper than private college because they do not solely depend upon the tuition of the students. They get funding from the government and are also helped by various organizations and charitable personalities.
- Community college Community college in USA provide 2-year undergraduate level education which is not equivalent to an undergraduate degree but it can work as foundation for undergraduate studies and student can study in some other university in the states after completing their course in the community college. Liberal arts colleges are also a type of college which mostly provides degree in liberal arts and science. For profit private college are also
Cost of attending college in US varies a lot depending on the city, university and the type of degree the student is applying for. In state university international students have to pay more amount that the students who are resident of the state. But for private colleges cost of attendance is same for both international as well as local students. Price of attending university in the states varies a lot depending on the university as some private ivy league colleges can cost extremely high. Tuition: Tuition is the thing in which most of the money is spent on education at the US. It varies but on average tuition fee on the US costs Public/State University: $8000-$35000 per year (for bachelor’s) : $10000-$35000 per year (for master’s) Private University: $25000-$50000 per year (for bachelor’s) : $25000-$60000 per year (for master’s) Accommodation: Housing in US depends upon the state and type of resident you’re living in. Renting an apartment on shared by friends is mostly popular in US because it gives the students the freedom for students to work anytime they want and also it is cheaper and then on campus residence. Depending upon state and university these costs may vary. Some of the accommodation types in USA are:
- On campus living: $9000 -$12000 per year
- Renting an apartment: $700- $1500 per month
- Shared apartment: $600- $800 per month Other costs include cost of food, transportation, internet and all which usually sums up to 1000- 1200$/month.
There is a big need of being financially responsible in order to not go broke as a student in the US because of the inflation. Students are suggested to spend the least amount of money they can without having to live beyond the needs as spending large amount of money partying and buying stuffs that aren’t essential will make you suffer before you get your next pay cheque. There are a lot of distractions where students can spend their money on so they are suggested to be responsible of the way they spend their money. Also getting health insurance is extremely important for international students because the medical system in the US is extremely expensive and one cannot get health services in USA without going broke in the absence of an active health insurance. There are mainly two options of getting a health insurance in the US. One of the methods of getting it is from the college or the institution you are studying in because most of the universities in the US have a paid insurance plan for their students. You can also get your insurance from some insurance company off campus. Cost of insurance mostly depends on the city you live in. On average the cost of health insurance is $500 to $1000.
Working In USA
USA is popular not only for its education but also for the working environment it provides for the students. First year students are not allowed to work off campus but they can work on campus to fund their education in the states during their study. There are a lot of options to work on campus so there is no problem and from their season academic year, they can work off campus. Students are allowed to work 20 hours a week during schooldays and they can work full time during semester breaks and holidays to make the living. There are a lot of options that students can choose among to work part time. On campus and Off campus work are available to the students willing to work during their period to fund their education. The payment depends upon the city and the type of work that the student is doing. Some of the most popular part time job among students are:
- Fast food services and barista
- Food delivery and Uber
- Teachers assistant and research works And other jobs.
People are not judged on the basis of job they do in US and everyone is treated with respect which is one of the best parts about the American working culture. Students are usually paid around 15-20$ an hour so students can easily make around 1200- 1600 a month which is enough for living and they can make the money for tuition and others while working full time during semester breaks and holidays.
Admission Procedure And Document Checklist
Common app is the one app where you can find the info about most of the universities in the US. Using common app student can fill an application form and send it directly to the university. F-1 visa is the visa that the international students must have in order to study in the US. Students can get the visa 4months before the starting of the course and they cannot arrive more that 30 days before the course starts. Various kinds of documents are essential for the applying to get visa. Getting student visa is one of the most important process in studying abroad as one cannot live in another country without a visa. These documents help the US government and the universities to ensure that the students that are going to there are genuinely student and they can live there without facing financial problems. Some of the important documents include.
- Certificate that gives information about your previous education level.
- IELTS/TOFEL or other English proficiency tests result
- SAT is optional but it can help in getting scholarships
- University application form
- Passport which does not expire until 6 months after the completion of the degree
- Evidence of financial capacity and income sources with required documents.
- English transmitted Citizenship certificate
- Letter of acceptance from university
Visa Process And Condition
As the students come on student visa, there are some restrictions and rules that may follow being a student.
- Students must be remained enrolled full time and complete the course in the given time.
- Regular attendance and progress are required.
- Student must leave the country once their visa expires.
- Students are allowed to work for only 20 hours a week On-campus throughout the semester. (can work full time during breaks) After completing studying in USA, international students receive a Post Study Work Visa for 1 year. Student can also apply for a H-1B visa after completion of their study in USA in order to be able to work and live in USA for a prolonged period of time.
After completing studying in Canada, international students receive a Post Study Work Visa for anywhere around 8 months up to three years. This work experience plays a vital role in the PR process later.
American culture is a lot different from Nepali culture. We have been raised in eastern tradition so western tradition can be difficult to get used to but the new generations are pretty much used to change and are hugely influenced by the western culture. There can be some cultural shock on the campus and on the society in general as the people in the USA are a lot different that people out here. As the people there, a lot more sensitive than here, students must be careful about what they talk about and how they talk about to other people. Americans are welcoming to international students and students will also have a great experience with the international exposure in the US.